Re: HYB: oldies-sidebar

  • Subject: Re: HYB: oldies-sidebar
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:50:04 -0400

All of the answers given were correct. But to clarify, it is best to look at inheritence of yellow and pink in absence of anthocyanin.

The absence of the oil based cartenoids (yellows (beta and alpha carotene) and pink, lycopene) produces white. The presence of one (or more) of the catenoids genes produces a cartenoid flower. this is usually a yellow unless there are four sets of t gene, (tttt) , and then it is a pink. The "t" gene is unable to process lycopene into the further carotenes, alpha and beta carotene. It takes four sets of 't" to prevent pigment being converted from lycopene to carotene.

Inheritence of orange is a bit more complex, as it involves the prescence of both yellow and pink pigments. In this case the yellow is a recessive gene. Also a yellow with tangerine beard is also a recessive yellow.

There are yellow water soluble pigments, flavanoids. These operate on a seperate set of genetics.

So a white crossed with a pink will usually produce at least half of the offspring as having a cartenoid gene. If white does not have any '"t" genes then these will all be yellows (This is asumming that none of the offspring have anthocyanin.) Usually it would require the white to have at least two "t" genes in order to produce some pink seedlings.

Chuck Chapman