CULT: late season planting?

  • Subject: CULT: late season planting?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 10:13:56 -0500

Betty tells me she is still putting adult irises in the ground.

Betty, are you planting intact root ball, or trimming tops & roots, same as usual planting time? You've mentioned straw mulch - do you cover the entire plant or just the soil?

Any of the rest of you have time to share experience with planting this late in the season (i.e., about a month before the unprotected soil might freeze & stay frozen for awhile).

What do you do re: protection?

After the experience of planting relatively small seedlings out the fall before the disastrous spring freeze a couple of years ago, I certainly won't do that again without covering them for the winter with Reemay or equivalent.

But I have found some hired help, & now have some ground worked up across the creek that is actually <soil> (not rocks!), where I would like to line out some older seedlings.

I have so little experience planting in real soil, I'm not sure how to proceed <g>.
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8