Re: CULT: late season planting?

  • Subject: Re: CULT: late season planting?
  • From: autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 08:20:29 -0500

<<Betty tells me she is still putting adult irises in the ground.??Betty, are you planting intact root ball, or trimming tops & roots, same as usual planting time? You've mentioned straw mulch - do you cover the entire plant or just the soil??>>

Linda, I would never plant small seedlings after Sept 15.? They must establish roots.

As to adult rhizomes, some may remember my reports when I moved out here in 2003.? I kept planting until the weather got so cold that I couldn't handle it.? All irises lived.?

In this case, I'm simply moving a few new rebloom seedlings into the reselect bed.? There are 5 spots left and I'd planned to move the new rebloom seedlings from the 2011 cross into 3 of those spots.? (Summer Radiance/Visiting Royalty/Gallant Moment/Feed Back/Tara's Choice) I was afraid a move would stop their bloom so I waited.? Unfortunately, the two nights of freeze did dry up the buds.? Once I realized this had happened I peeled the blooms hoping to establish color.?

This seedling bed, the current one, is needed in early spring.? I'd hit the bed with Roundup about 3 months ago. I'd hoped to have it tilled this fall but too many rebloomers showed up.?

I will?probably trim them as usual.? The landscape fabric I've used is very tough and a bit difficult to manage.? I've not tried planting full clumps through it.???I've planted in clumps, but with each rhizome inserted individually.

Bloom season will probably be early in these beds.? The soil in this bed stays a bit warmer due to the black fabric.? Not necessarily good, but the lesser of evils.?

I will check them after any hard freeze and press them back into the soil if necessary.? Medium to large sized rhizomes?can lie on the ground all winter and still survive when planted in the spring.

They will be okay.? Since they are new reblooming seedlings, I'd not risk them if I doubted their survival.?

This past spring the middle granddaughter, Daisy, planted 5 or 6 old rhizomes that she retrieved from a pile of discards from the past fall.? They had been on the ground over winter.? They are now growing in mum pots!? She is 5 and loves to? plant things in pots.? I wish I could have trusted her to plant iris seeds!? As it is, the freeze also felled some?flowers she'd planted a few weeks ago!? I had old seed to spare and didn't want to discourage her.? She planted irises from this summers trim pile too!? She checks each Friday afternoon to see if they are growing.? I know we now have a new Lunar Whitewash and a new Echo Location.? Those two had tags and she planted them, too.? <vbg>

As to the straw . . . as stated, I'm using it to cover the landscape fabric to cut down on?sun damage.? Not on the irises, but between the clumps.? Darnell Hester has used the fabric for years.? He seems to like the results.

Betty Wilkerson, Southcentral KY, zone 6.?