Re:CULT: late season planting?

  • Subject: Re:CULT: late season planting?
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 11:54:25 -0500

For planting outside in this late a season, I have several methods to try.

1) Put rhizome on top of ground , where you wish it to be. Leave it totally uncovered all winer. When ground thaws in spring, plant it. Far superior survival compared to planting it in regular method. Why this works is that the plant has even temperature over rhizome during winter so no damage to plant. Also can't heave and do damage to fine starter roots, so conserves energy of plant. Anything planted at this time tries to put out roots and these get destroyed over winter, even more so with heaving. This wastes plant energy. Micro fissures in rhizome from having tops of rhizome exposed to sun , while bottom is in ground (heat expands, while cold contracts, temperature differential caused fractures in skin of rhizome, leaving entry points for bacteria , which can grow in cooler temperatures then iris, so plant cant repair damage in time to save itself.) Discarded plants sitting on top of ground beside planted rhizomes survive while those in ground die. Personal experience.

2) Plant and then place about 6" of soil over top of rhizome. Don't remove extra soil until soil thaws in spring. same reasons as above, except now even temperatures from depth of soil protection.

Personal opinion is that . leaving on top of soil would have better survival.

3) Don't plant them. Leave in open air on bench in unheated building and plant in spring. Actually this works very well. Caution, plants want to bloom in spring, remove flower stalks.

4) Plant them when ground starts to freeze up over. that is wait awhile. I was communicating with a person in Yukon Territories ( same climate as Alaska) and they had iris survive over winter by doing this. An accident of fate as they ordered iris from a garden mail order business and plants arrived very late. Snowed the next day after planting. They all survived the first winter, just because they didn't get a chance to start growing, so stayed in deep dormancy all winter. Same problem as #3, they will bloom in spring. Again, remove flower stalk.

Chuck Chapman