Re:CULT: late season planting?

  • Subject: Re:CULT: late season planting?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 06:26:15 -0500

Thanks, Betty & Chuck.

The last three winters, temperatures haven't gotten below 20oF, so the ground hasn't really frozen at all.

But my crystal ball isn't telling me if we're going to go back to "normal" winters when lows occasionally dropped below zero F.

Most of the things I was considering planting are in pots, so I could just leave them there till March, past time for any serious freezing that could cause the problems you describe, Chuck. Very inconvenient that winter is about the only time of year I feel like doing much serious manual labor anymore!

Hmmm... maybe I can cut loose/divide and pot up some of the older (reselect) seedlings I'm wanting to move, then will have them ready to line out with rootball intact in late winter/early spring. I can protect the groups of pots with Reemay and keep a close eye on them here at the house.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8