Re: Re:CULT: late season planting?

  • Subject: Re: Re:CULT: late season planting?
  • From: autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 08:40:07 -0500

With enough soil you can move iris at any time.? In my move to Alvaton (1986) the irises were dug in clumps and then set into an open (prepared) trench at the new garden.? This was early March and it was snowing the day we moved the clumps.? They?survived.? Wish I'd taken pictures of the clumps lined up in the bed of the pickup.?

<<Hmmm... maybe I can>>
In my part of the country, I've found that extra soil placed on top of a rhizome (late planting) will wash off during my pounding spring rains, relieving me of the need to remove it.? In the bed with landscape fabric I've pulled in soil from around the rhizome by reaching under the fabric.? The rhizomes are covered, but should be visible by spring.? The fabric will effect the results, reducing the force?exerted by?the pounding rain.?

Linda, is your potted soil mixture heavy enough that you can plant the seedlings without disturbing the?potting soil?? I've been told, some have had trouble planting potted irises, soil intact,?straight into the garden due to the difference in the soil mixture.?? Of course, this would only work with the ones already living outdoors.?

Once upon a time, I planted seedlings in styrophome cups that were the exact size of my long handle bulb setter.? I could pop the seedling out and place it right into the hole.? I didn't try it in the winter, but it might work if you pulled a little extra soil up over the edges of the soil from the cup.? Could something like this work for you?? In your rocky soil??

Betty?