From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of J.
Griffin Crump
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2008 3:05 PM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: [iris] OT: Fall

It's Indian summer here along the Potomac.  Days in the 60s and nights a
little chilly.  Great working weather.  The leaves held, for the most part,
until yesterday, and today have begun raining down.  The colors came late,
it
seemed, but they were worth waiting for.  The spectaculars this year weren't
the reds, as is the norm, but a glory of golds and oranges set off by the
deep
green of firs and hollys.  Meantime, the rebloomers keep nudging their way
up
--  some dark color showing on 07Y1, an 'Eternal Bliss' X 'Alleluia'
seedling
that first bloomed this spring.  Didn't get a good photo of it then.  Have
been baking dirt for seed planting  --  close to a month behind schedule.
Although we officially made it out of the drought a couple of months ago,
it's
pretty dry again, and I think the rebloomers would appreciate some more
rain.
Roses are prospering everywhere.  Yellow roses have always been my
favorites,
but for years each yellow that I planted failed.  I finally succeeded,
however, and the house is full of fragrance.  --  Griff