Re: CULT:REB:shade

  • Subject: Re: CULT:REB:shade
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 07:09:24 -0500

I wish there were a simple solution, but with serious damaging freezes that come with major cold fronts, it just stays so cold here in the frost pocket for so long that it doesn't make any difference most of the time.

However, with lighter freezes/frosts it can make a difference. There is one short row of the reblooming amoena from IMM X CSONG that gets a little shelter from overhanging branches of a smallish elm (that has now died). But in this case, it's not the shade that delays bloom, rather the protection it gives at night - like car windows that don't frost when parked under a tree.

I'm very curious to see how bloom is affected in the row across the creek. It's far enough away from the base of the ridge & trees here at the house that shade the gravel rows that it will get sun at least 2 hrs earlier, plus it's at a slightly higher elevation, so will have better air drainage, plus it's closer to the creek, which <might> buffer temperatures a little bit.

One of the really good growers here is an older cultivar that has beautiful blue blooms, but nearly always is frozen out in the gravel rows. I moved most of it down next to the gate at the bridge across the creek, and so far, it has bloomed every year.

Bottom line, no, I don't think so <g>

<Linda, is there a way you can use shade to delay bloom on some of those early irises that give you such trouble?? >
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8