Re: CULT:REB:shade

  • Subject: Re: CULT:REB:shade
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:13:37 -0500

Thanks for the suggestions Betty.

Although it's frustrating to watch early spring & late fall bloom get wiped out here most years, it's what caused me to get interested in iris breeding in the first place. Keeping that in mind, loss of this kind of bloom has not been an actual "problem" to be solved here. Rather, it's an advantage. ;-) or ;-( ??

At least up till now, it hasn't.

And if "summer" bloom is a separate genetic package from cycle bloom, hopefully, it won't have too much effect on my breeding program, so still won't be a problem to be solved.

On the other hand, if it turns out that my "best" (re: flower & stalk appearance) "summer" rebloom carriers <also> turn out to be mostly either early/late cycle rebloomers or just early spring bloomers, <that> will definitely be a problem I'll be trying to solve!

First effort will be to line some of these out across the creek, see if that difference in soil and exposure will help them bloom and be fertile. If not, I will do my best to get all the early blooming ones in one part of the garden where it won't be too much work to cover them, plus can always lug pots indoors. Worst comes to worst, I will build a coldframe over them for the winter.
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8