HYB: Inheritance of health problems

  • Subject: HYB: Inheritance of health problems
  • From: "Francelle" <fjmjedwards@qwest.net>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 10:59:38 -0700

This is a response the Griff's article on Iris-Photos about siblings in
different beds showing similar health problems, showing the probability that
they were genetically influenced.  I have had some rather dramatic
experiences in similar situations.  Last year I selected three beautiful
siblings of (Pond Lily x Twice Thrilling) X Louisa's Song.  Each of these
had LS's large, beautifully ruffled form and ranged in color from purple to
an exquisite pink.  This spring each showed evidence of bloom-out.  One
bloomed out completely, the pretty pink one, of course.  One bloomed out but
managed to come back later in the summer.  The purple one behaved a little
more normally.  Nothing else in their row had that problem.  I had trouble
like that with Twice Thrilling, and eventually lost it.

Also, last year I bloomed over a dozen seedlings from Pond Lily X Romantic
Evening.  They were all nice, and one won the popularity poll at our Early
Spring Show with 75% of the votes.  The fans looked good so I had high hopes
for them.  Last fall when I dug them to line some out, I found they were all
balding.  They had no roots at all.  I planted and tried to save some, but
they all died.  Nothing else in the whole garden was affected that way.  I
am not blaming Pond Lily; she is always a good grower and so are most of her
seedlings.  Romantic Evening is only a fair grower, but doesn't have any
particular health problems, but something was definitely wrong with that
cross.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9