HYB: dry vs fresh seed germination
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: HYB: dry vs fresh seed germination
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 11:27:22 -0500

This is not a study with controls, just some anecdotal data. So, for what it's worth....

This year, I had seeds from 20 different crosses. I put them all in the fridge at about the same time. Seeds from 7 of the crosses were fresh (not dried); the other 13 were dried for various lengths of time before going into the fridge. None were pre-soaked.

I took them out of the fridge and potted them up a few weeks ago, watering every day. First sprouts visible above ground the last few days.

Of the 7 crosses refrigerated without drying, all but one has sprouts up.

Of the 13 crosses refrigerated after drying, one has sprouts up.

Would the dried seeds have sprouted faster if they'd been soaked first? Possibly.

Are there genetic differences between the fresh crosses and the dried ones? Possibly.

Is it all random? Possibly.

Other notes - some crosses had more than one pod; not all seeds from all crosses looked viable - overall a bad year for successful crosses here. Four of the 13 dried crosses had less than 20 seeds.

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7b