Re: HYB: dry vs fresh seed germination
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: HYB: dry vs fresh seed germination
  • From: Bill Chaney <billchaney@ymail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 12:06:45 -0800 (PST)

I am glad this subject has come up.   Thank you Linda for sharing your
experience.  I have heard that Ben Hager never dried his seeds and planted
them fresh, and often did not even allow the pods to start to split, but
harvested them still green.  I cannot confirm this is true, but I would love
to hear if anyone else has heard this.

If you think about what happens in
nature, drying seems like the way a plant insures their seed will not try to
germinate at the wrong time.  But drying is also likely the process that
produces the germination inhibitors that we later have to leach away.

What we
need to do is to split the seeds from several large pods into two groups and
let one half from each pod dry, and plant (or stratify) the other half without
letting them dry, then compare the rates for each half by pod.  Maybe next
year I will give this a try.

It is possible that the dried seeds will simply
take longer to germinate, but will eventually germinate at the same rate as
the fresh seeds.  I do worry about the fresh seeds rotting, but moisture
control will be key.

I would love to hear from others about their
experiences.

Bill

On Monday, November 4, 2013 11:21 AM, Betty Wilkerson