Re: HYB: dry vs fresh seed germination
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: HYB: dry vs fresh seed germination
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 12:31:04 -0500

I've occasionally had seed germinate on top of the soil if they haven't dried out.

& have had some that get mixed several inches deep by accident when transplanting seedlings out of the germination pot come up the second year.

General planting directions for seeds usually say plant twice as deep as the seeds' size. So I try for about 1/4 inch of potting mix.

& of course, in the fridge, they aren't covered at all, except maybe by misplaced bags of veggies ;-) But at least it is dark in there most of the time.

:-)

Linda Mann