HYB: germination
  • Subject: HYB: germination
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 13:29:07 -0500

Only about half a dozen crosses left that haven't put up sprouts yet. Indoors on the sunporch floor to escape hard freeze the past few nights (low 20s)

One or two are IMM crosses, notoriously stubborn about sprouting here, seem to need about 5 months of chilling, which they have not had yet. 3 months in the fridge, all taken out and planted; none had started sprouting.

One is Tea Leaves X Matrix. In the past, Tea Leaves crosses have had poor germination, so maybe this is a dud.

The others are from late bloomers, last crosses of the season. Two or three are from Dusky C, the other from a couple of really late seedlings.

Anybody care to speculate whether these need more chilling or warmer temperatures to germinate?

My suspicion is it's the latter, based on memory (no longer reliable!) of some late crosses sprouting when I accidentally let the sunporch get into the 80sF several days in a row.

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7b
hoping this week isn't a hint that we will have a 'normal' (i.e., erratic from very cold to too warm) winter this year. The past 5 warm winters have been really nice. - nothing below 10oF, & very little of that.