Re: HYB: question - Ae in non-black irises
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: HYB: question - Ae in non-black irises
  • From: Linda Mann <101l@rewrite.hort.net>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 08:47:24 -0500

Thanks Chuck. Interesting that there could still be some anthocyanin in petals "without" the genes for anthocyanin in the petals. So the pigment production reactions would be stopped earlier for the little Ae thingies & beards than the step that makes it go away in the petals?

Could you point me to a source of info, maybe with photos? on how to do the 'peel' that you've described for looking for Ae?

What is the lowest magnification they would be visible? If they don't contain pigment (assuming I practice first on ones that do), how hard is it to see them?

I <finally> got a dark purple that I assume has Ae descended from Dusky Challenger that fall bloomed. Pretty sure it's maiden bloom, so may not be a rebloomer, & may always be too late to be useful, but could be. It's (Violet Miracle x Dusky Grape) X Renown. Pigments are intense this long cool fall, but it looks about the same darkness as centers of falls on the VM XPagan Dance seedlings and Star Gate.

If I'm capable of looking for non-pigmented Ae's on light-colored dark X Renown seedlings, I'd like to try.

Linda Mann