Re: HYB: seeds sprouting
  • Subject: Re: HYB: seeds sprouting
  • From: Linda Mann <101l@rewrite.hort.net>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 17:35:23 -0500

A lot of variability - in the 40+ surviving seedlings from Imm X Csong, 1 produces tons of very fertile pollen, 4, 10, and 26 produce good anthers & pollen unless it's been an exceptionally stressful spring, not sure about 3, 11, 15, 32, 33 or any of the higher numbers (they got tossed without being used). Seems like 31 is a decent pollen producer.

In that same cross, 1, 4, 10, 31 are short, 3, 7, 11, 26 are tall (well, normal height).

Other first generation seedlings haven't had a lot of surviving seedlings (usually because very few have germinated in most crosses), & anther survival has been unpredicable. I have the impression that once I get two parents together that are good anther producers, all the kids make good anthers. But haven't kept notes. If the Imm kid has the same anther problems that IMM does, it carries on. It doesn't seem to average - either the kid has the ability to make good anthers or it doesn't - on or off.

Height does seem to average more than I used to think. Pretty impossible to know without growing for 4 or 5 yrs how much is climate effect (phenotype) and how much is genetic potential. Imm is always short, some of her kids are always short, but some are quite tall. Lousy form, but all the Imm X Above the Clouds kids (4 or 6?) were quite tall. All the Imm X Dusky Grape kids are very short, & DG can be taller than I am (before it falls over) in really luxuriant growing conditions.

In general, the more generations into a breeding line that started with IMM, the taller each generation seems to be, but that's because the things I've been mixing in are tall (or registered as 36" or more - they can be <very> short here, shorter than IMM).

So far, most (all?) of the Imm kids I've bred back to Imm have been short. I can't think of any tall ones.

The stalk/fan ratio has been surprising - so awful (low) in Imm, but ranges from near bloomout & 1/2 all the way to being as weedy as Imm, first generation and on down the line. So far, I've not noticed any pattern in which crosses make lots of little fans, which ones make fewer blooming sized ones.