Re: AIS Award system/Opinion of general public

Donald said
>I'm betting that these "regular gardeners" who are purchasing most of the
>irises are looking to their local garden centers or their local Wal-Mart or
>K-Mart.  Given that assumption, I would say that the AIS award system has
>little to do with which irises are mass marketed to the "regular gardener"
>or general public.

After so many rot failures with the irises that I mail ordered, I saw a
couple of sad looking dried up packages of iris at one of the Mart's which I
bought.  They grew better and bloomed more reliably than anything I had
bought so far (except VICTORIA FALLS).  The two I bought were VITAFIRE, and
LACY SNOWFLAKE, both older award winning iris (HM award?).

This may be an indication that 'Mart iris grown by the general public are
more affected by AIS awards than we might think.  I agree, Donald - it would
be really interesting to know who picks the ones to mass market and how.
 Part of it is obviously going to be which ones will reproduce fast enough to
meet demand.  The 'Mart's may even target different varieties to different