Re: Pacific Coast iris (was evaluation criteria)

Barb said
<Linda,  I grow mine in old wash machine tubs, because of the holes, that
might help with the water problem.  I also make sure to plant them in pine
forest mulch.  When I planted them in normal soil they did terrible, I lost
all but one to a rust-like disease.>

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but I am guessing from your
email address that you are in California? Drainage isn't the problem here -
it's the more than 50 inches of rain/year, often with 2 or 3 inches at time
when the temperatures are quite warm (>80o) that is apparently the problem.
 Clarence has more experience killing Pacific Coast iris in the east than I
do, so maybe he will comment.

Rick Tasco said
< There are
certain varieties that John Weiler of Fresno has been testing for hotter
climates.  I grow about a dozen, with a variety called *Canyon Snow*
undoubtably the most vigorous..... Contrary to what the literature
says Canyon Snow gets watered a lot here during the summer>

How much is a lot of water?  Would it cope with 50 - 60 inches of rain per
year, 3 to 5 inches/month?

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN USA