Re: Pacific Coast Natives

LMann76543@aol.com wrote:
> How much is a lot of water?  Would it cope with 50 - 60 inches of rain per
> year, 3 to 5 inches/month?
As I mentioned in an earlier message, PCN's like dry summers and wet
winters.  They also like their soil on the acid side.  I incorporate
leaf mold and commercial fertilizer (Miracid) and they seem to like it.
I water my PCN's (which they do not get in their natural habitat)
because of our hot harsh summers. The problem I see with growing them in
the East is the humidity not the water.  The types John Weiler grows
were selected to grow in a hot and dry climate.  Desert/Semi-desert.

However, seeds are always available, from SIGNA or from other members of
Iris-l,  and I hear of some successes in the East and Midwest.

PS: Join SIGNA now and get their seed list which will be delivered any
day now.  Hundreds of varieties of iris seeds available for pennies.  No
I am not a spokesperson for SIGNA, but maybe I should be.

Rick Tasco
Central California -- No snow in 7 years!
Zone 8.5