Re: Pacific Coast iris (was evaluation criteria)

At 10:02 PM 11/30/96 -0700, you wrote:
>When I try them next time, I am going to sterilize the soil first.  I think
>out West they use a product called Subdue, if I remember correctly....please
>someone, correct this if I am mistaken.

Clarence I don't use subdue, however, you are correct about the name.  If
you recall Rick Tasco and I both plant our pcn's in special soil. Rick said
he uses
leaf mold and miracid.  I use pine mulch (some people call it duff) which I
go out and collect in the forest to simulate the same soil the native plants
grow in.  When I tried to grow them in regular soil (even with subdue) they
had all died by spring and I live in California.  Because the weather in
this part of the state is wetter and hotter I also grow them in old washing
machine tubs, which I paint-up and they look really cute.  I also have had
fantastic luck with BIG MONEY and JESTER, which grows like a weed for me.

In Redding California where it's not summer all year round.