Re: Variety, not Homogeneity, is the Spice of Life

Donald Mosser wrote:

> I'm totally fascinated by the expectation that all new iris introductions
> are expected to be fully tested and bare the stamp of approval from all
> regions where it might be purchased and grown, prior to their introduction.
> This sounds like U.S. government mentality - "make it safe and reliable
> enough for everyone to grow" or "an iris in every pot (or flat or 4-pack)"
> (sorry for the political simile).  *********
Then, are you saying to do away with the AIS award system?  Most of the
irises purchased are be regular gardeners, not AIS members. These people
look to the catalogs who sell them as being the best of the best.  If AIS
gives awards to poor irises, what are we saying to the general public?
If we are to succeed, we need to change the way this whole process is
done, so what goes to the public is the best...or at least better than it
is now!

Dennis