Re: Variety, not Homogeneity, is the Spice of Life

Donald said
>> I'm totally fascinated by the expectation that all new iris introductions
>> are expected to be fully tested and bare the stamp of approval from all
>> regions where it might be purchased and grown, prior to their
introduction.
and Dennis replied
>Then, are you saying to do away with the AIS award system? ....
>, we need to change the way this whole process is
>done, so what goes to the public is the best...or at least better than it
>is now!

We have two issues here - one is what should be introduced, and the other is
what should be awarded.

On the first topic, we have heard a lot of different opinions on the list -
some think too many are introduced, some that they ought to be tested before
introducing, some that regional variety in introductions is ok, and some
(like myself) who LOVE Blyth iris pictures and Pacific coast iris and
arilbred patterns and enjoy pictures of introductions that will NEVER grow
here in the natural outdoors, who think it's ok for people to introduce any
iris they want to.  All I want is for some help in finding out where these
things have grown successfully (or vice versa) either before or after
introduction - I can't afford to shell out $100 for an iris anyway (or even
$30 unless I cut way back on trying new ones).  (Of course, if they all grew
like MAYTAG RED....)

On the second topic, there doesn't seem to be any disagreement, except over
what, how, and when to fix things.  I don't remember seeing anybody post that
they thought the current AIS awards system is just fine and dandy just the
way it is.  Not even the California people in iris heaven.

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN USA