Re: Hybridizers Seedlings (long)

> Does AIS expect *all* judges to be qualified to judge *all*
>         types of iris? I know there is a difference between garden judge
>         and show-bench judge but in the dog fancy world, one can qualify
>         to judge just terriers or working dogs, etc. Usually, one
>         moves up to be an all-breed judge and is qualified to judge all
>         groups.
	You are correct in this assessment.  Unlike dog shows where a judge has
to qualify for each breed and eventually the groups/show an iris judge
is an iris judge.  Usually the person procuring judges for a given show
is aware of the type of iris that will turn up at their show and will
look for judges that are knowledgable about that type of iris.  For
instance I would not likely be invited to judge Japanese as I have never
grown them and have seen very few in the garden.  However I am very
qualified on TB's, BB's, IB's, MTB's, SDB's, MDB's.  I am working hard
on AB's, LA's and species.  It is up to the judge and there ethics to
make sure they are well trained and versed in these iris.  It also never
hurts to review the judges handbook before judging something that you
are not the very best on or a type that it has been a while since you
judged. IMHO.
--
Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
17.76"