Re: Variety, not Homogeneity, is the Spice of Life

> I'm totally fascinated by the expectation that all new iris introductions
> are expected to be fully tested and bare the stamp of approval from all
> regions where it might be purchased and grown, prior to their introduction.
	This blows my mind as well.  Why should iris be held to this type of
standard when nothing else (that I am aware of) is.  If you order seeds
or plants from a catalog you can only go by your zone requirements and
hope. If you go down to your local nursery you will often find things
that do not do well locally.  We always have trees, bushes, flowers etc.
for sale here locally that will only do well in a greenhouse or the most
persnickity of mirco-climates.  If you only want something with a
guarantee then visit other local gardens and make notes on what does
well.  Another good way is your local iris society sale.  The things
someone brings in huge clumps of to sale are probably good doers.  For a
little spice try something new.  I admit it is very discouraging to
spend $40 or $45 on a new TB and have it croak off.  The answer to that
is don't buy them that first year.  Wait until the price comes down or
you have seen it and know what to expect.  Personally I can't always
wait so I pay my money and take my chances.

Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
of rain a year.  Our average wind speed is 12.5 mph and we have an