Re: Species Iris - I. cycloglossa

Donald asked:-

I'm assuming that I. cylcoglossa can take some frost since it is bulbous.
However, can it take the heat and humidity that is indicative of
southeastern U.S. Summers (approximately 100 degrees Far.)?

The only know site for this species is nr. Herat in Afghanistan.  The
climate there is continental with warm summers and winters that do not drop
too far below freezing except in the mountains.  The rainfall is about
250-300mm (10-12 inches) and almost none falls in the summer.

By comparison rainfall in Washington DC is about 1000 and New Orleans about
1300mm.  I would imagine that I.cycloglossa would do well at 100F during the
summer but would not be too happy with the wet.  Most of the irises in
Scopriris group prefer little or no rain in the summer months.  This is a
species for New Mexico or Texas rather than NC in my opinion although it
might grow well in pots which were sheltered in a covered area for the
summer.  That is, as long as the general humidity in the air was not
absorbed by the soil.

Ian E. Efford
avocet@worldlink.ca
Ottawa zone 3