Re: The Impact of Cold Climate Rebloomers

Dorothy: I do hope others will answer your question, but I shall try .
Cold-climate rebloomers are those that are successful in other than
Mediterranean climates.  In short, they can handle cold winters, or moderate
winters, without dying.  Tom Craig introduced many "rebloomers"  a few
decades ago.  I tried most of them , but many were quite unsuitable to my
Canadian  gardens.  Those that were OK went into the genetic pot. These Craig
 (and other) rebloomers, generally had better form and other desirable
characteristics than the  cold-climate rebloomers.  Another example from the
past, the introductions of the late Dr. G. Percy Brown of Massachusetts.
There  were the result of breeding for generations for hardiness, with little
thought of form and color. Indeed, mmost were so lacking in beauty, that I
used them very springly, in my hybridizing. But, they were super-hardy, and
excellent in their reblooming habits.   Lloyd Zurbrigg, Durham N.C.  Zone 7.5