AIS Award System

I suggest that the criteria for a Dykes medal include a vote from at least
one judge from every region where that type of iris grows (meaning spurias &
PCN's would not be subject to receiving votes from as many regions as TB's).
And the AM should include the criteria of a certain percentage of the judges
voting from each region. IMHO, the HM award should be the only one without a
regional criteria. Feasible? (You can tell the pioneers by the arrows in
their backs!)

While I don't see any need for a complete revamp, especially as the system
was recently redone, I agree with what seems to me a majority of the
writers, that there is a need for irises that grow well in regions other
than the region in which they originated. We've many excellent hybridizers
here in region I, and not all of the "big 2's" rhizomes U&D the first year;
in fact, some do go on to make outstanding clumps in just a couple years. I
love them all, regardless. :)

I especially like Donald Mosser's suggestions for beginners regarding
ordering locally, but would like to suggest that beginners visit local
gardens and iris shows. I'm sure that many of the irises they see there will
make it to their own want lists, as they have mine.

Carol Blais, Region I, zone 5 - CBLAIS@worldnet.att.net
(Waiting for the arrows, she said: "Fools rush in . . . aargh!)