Re: Pacific Coast Native Iris

Barb Rigby wrote:

> Another question for anyone else out there.  Can pacific coast be grown in
> places like Tenn. ?

Barb,

According to Iris literature, Pacific Coast Natives (PCN's) have a very
narrow climatic range.  Hugging the West Coast from Washington State to
Mexico.  They are somewhat iffy for me as I am about 2 1/2 hours inland
from the coast and my summers are quite hot.  They like cool dry (not a
drop of rain all summer) and wet winters (but not too cold).  There are
certain varieties that John Weiler of Fresno has been testing for hotter
climates.  I grow about a dozen, with a variety called *Canyon Snow*
undoubtably the most vigorous.  I would try this variety if you try any.
It is pure white with a yellow signal.  Contrary to what the literature
says Canyon Snow gets watered a lot here during the summer.

If you need help finding this variety contact me off list.

Rick Tasco
Central California in the lower Sierra Nevada Foothills
Zone 8.5