Re: Species Iris

>Ian E. Efford wrote:
>
> A low interest in species out there.

Ian,

Some of us are trying.  I grow Japonica, Tectorum (Alba), Lutescens,
Pusedocorus (which is fighting with reeds to take over my pond) and
Unguicularis (which is blooming now and smells like hyacinths).

I have been growing PCN's for a number of years and noticed how similar
the growth and habits are to Unguicularis.  Naturally, being a
hybridizer I decided to cross the two.  Got two(2) seeds.  They are
planted and I'll report on what happens.  I also have a number of clones
of Unguicularis (Caspian Sea, Walter Butt (no jokes) and narrow leaf
from Greece.  I am in the process of crossing these.

As you know, Unguicularis is not for the whole country as it originates
from around the Mediterranean.  It might be successful in pots in colder
and wetter climates.  Someone let me know.  This species is worth a try
for the fragrance alone.  Will perfume an entire room.

Rick Tasco
Central California where my iris were frosted last night
Zone 8.5