Re: AIS Award System

At 07:02 PM 11/29/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I especially like Donald Mosser's suggestions for beginners regarding
>ordering locally, but would like to suggest that beginners visit local
>gardens and iris shows. I'm sure that many of the irises they see there will
>make it to their own want lists, as they have mine.
>>Carol Blais, Region I, zone 5 - CBLAIS@worldnet.att.net
>AIS, WNEIS, ISM, HIPS
>(Waiting for the arrows, she said: "Fools rush in . . . aargh!)

Right on with the visiting local gardens!  Although he's not too local, I
got some of my first named irises when I toured Clarence Mahan's garden this
past spring.  He gave me a tour and then offered me my pick from the entire
garden (anything of which he had enough to share).  I chose things based on
general vigor and what I personally liked.  Having just gotten into irises
when I visited Clarence, I had no concept of what was considered "the best"
or good and Clarence took some time to educate me.  A few months later I
drove to a local grower about 1.5 hours with a wish list in hand and came
away with some nice reblooming TB's, and SDB's at a reasonable price and a
better understanding of what grew well in my geographical area.  Of course,
this approach can lead to the "kid in a candy store syndrome", as it did
with me. :)

-Donald

Donald Mosser
AIS, HIPS, SPCNI, IRIS-L