Re: Variety, not Homogeneity, is the Spice of Life

>Hi everyone,  As shameful as this may seem to any serious Iris grower, let
me pass on some information.  I live in Region 14, Zone 9, Redding
California and  last year I couldn't find a bag of irises that were given to
me containing 6 T. .B.'s at planting time (August).  To my surprise I found
the poor lost (dried up) soles in Jan.  I was at a lose as to what to do
with them.  With nothing to loose I soaked each one for 3 days in water and
planted each in a one gallon pot giving them 0-55-0, two weeks later I gave
them a shot of 6-10-10 and placed them outside.  I waited to see what they
would do in the spring.  To my surprise they grew like mad, putting on
babies and good foliage.  Blooming time arrived and my garden irises did
their usual blooming.  However, the potted iris had no bloom stock present
for the months of April and May.  I was surprised that the lost ones had
survived and to my surprise, in the first week of June, 4 out of the six had
bloom stock.  They were much shorter than usual but they had full sized
blooms, so whose to say what's to late!!!!  It was probably luck, tender
loving care or maybe soaking, wet weather, whose to say.  I feel potting and
keeping them inside for two weeks did help.  I've planted as late as Nov.
1st. in the ground with 50% success rate, for spring bloom.