Re: Variety, not Homogeneity, is the Spice of Life

Donald -- Can't resist responding to your advertisement for

I bought it in 95 and it didn't bloom in 96 and now it's dead.

Do you suppose there's anything I did, culturally, that caused its demise??

What about my soil conditions.  My other plants around it just loved the
load of fresh manure I put out there.

Merry Thanksgiving!!

Donald's message read:

Of course if consistency, predictability, reliability, dependability, and
perfection is what you're after I would recommend that you try a newly
introduced TB named MAYTAG RED (Ripley, 1996). It has been known to grow
equally well in climates ranging from frozen tundra to steamy swamps and has
never been reported to rot.  It's a geranium red, extremely fragrant,
everbloomer with impeccable foliage habit.  It has a perfect 50% ratio of
bloom stalks to fans.  It forms perfect clumps rapidly (so rapidly that
weeds can't even grow next to it) and should be divided once every three
years. Lastly, it's self cleaning so it never gets borer infestations. Oh, I
forgot to mention that it's a steal at $55.00 (U.S. currency), but the
grower that sells it only accepts cash or money orders.  :) :) :) Other
intros from Ripley include SPOOFED YA, BELIEVE IT, OR NOT, READ MY LIPS,

Thanks for the giggle!!

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY