RE: Seeds & Seedlings

>Donald.  Usually one waits until the pod starts to open , before harvesting.
>At this time of year, you may have to harvest earlier, and keep from
>freezing. Then wait for the pod to split before harvesting.  Severe freezing
>would obviously halt the development of the seeds.  Lloyd Z.  Durham NC
>Zone
>7.5

How important is it to wait for the pods to split? From what I have read about
TB seeds is that the pods should take 6 to 8 weeks to ripen. With most of my
crosses the pods never split and after about 12 weeks I manually cut them open
and then dry the seeds. I have had about a 80% germination rate from doing it
this way.

I'd also like some input from people about when is the best time to plant the
seeds. I've heard of both planting in the early winter and in the following
spring.
I have planted both times and don't seem to see a lot of difference in
germination rate, although the spring planted seeds I put in the freezer for
about a week first.

One last question. I have read that the seeds should be planted in 4" pots.
What would be the reason for this rather than straight in the ground.

Thanks
Jefrie Jenkins
Kent, WA zone 5
Happy Turkey Day to everyone!