Re: AIS Judging (Was Hybridizers Seedllings)

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996 CEMahan@aol.com wrote:

> I know of no REPEAT no AIS judge who votes for an iris based on seeing a
> picture...this is absolutely wrong and I don't believe it is done.  On the
> other hand any AIS member (judge or not judge) can vote in the Symposium for
> the most popular TB irises....and I fear some people (NOT judges) do vote for
> irises they have only seen pictures of... there are not really any rules
> about Symposium voting other than "do you like the iris."  Hope this
> clarifies.  Clarence Mahan

	Not to drawn this out further - *but* I do know the difference
	the symposium and the AIS awards' voting. When I first glanced at
	it, I thought the whole post was a flame but since it came from
	my friend Clarence, I decided he was trying to educate me. :-)

	One doesn't know on what basis anyone votes (unless one is clair-
	voyant) unless one personally reports every vote to you.

	I know that there was a discussion on this list about AIS judges
	voting on the basis of pix - but to suggest that only `just folks'
	like we growers, who are not judges or hybridizers, would be so
	unethical to vote on seeing a photo smacks of elitism....they
	are bad apples in every barrel.

	Happy Thanksgiving,

	Ellen Gallagher e_galla@moose.ncia.net