Re: Maytag Red (Iris Humor?)

At 11:27 AM 11/28/96 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 96-11-27 23:06:04 EST, Donald wrote:
><< Of course if consistency, predictability, reliability, dependability, and
> perfection is what you're after I would recommend that you try a newly
> introduced TB named MAYTAG RED (Ripley, 1996). >>
>
>What! This iris is selling for ONLY $55.00! When Lloyd Zurbrigg introduced
>IMMORTALITY he charged $100.00.  And I bought it for that price and have
>never regretted it.  I would buy MAYTAG RED if the price were higher, but I
>don't have space to be planting a lot of cheap irises.  After all, you might
>be a redneck irisarian if you plant cheap irises along the path to your
>still.  Clarence Mahan in northern Virginia

Mr. Ripley is one of those hybridizers who has been at it a long time and
has already made his fortune from irises, just like you Clarence, which he
uses to subsidize the costs of developing, guesting, and making his new
introductions affordable. ;) :)
Also, now that Lloyd Zurbrigg has flooded the market with good rebloomers
it's been harder for Mr. Ripley to command the high prices that initially
brought him affluence.
Everyone should also keep in mind that my initial instructions were for a
beginner or frustrated, experienced iris grower.  Clarence is neither of
these, so he is entitled to buy $100.00 introductions without criticism.:)
EOH (End of humor)

Seriously, I recognize that the majority of hybridizers don't make a killing
from new introductions and I appreciate the work that they do to bring us
new and beautiful creations. I could see how increasing the requirements for
introduction of new irises could increase the associated development costs
for a new introduction, as well as, possibly improve the quality and
uniqueness of irises introduced. IMHO, it would be a shame to make
registration and introduction of new varieties of irises a more cost
prohibitive venture for the amateur hybridizer.

-Donald (full of turkey among other things)
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone - I'm thankful for my friends on the IRIS-L!

Donald Mosser
AIS, HIPS, SPCNI, IRIS-L
dmosser@southconn.com
North Augusta, South Carolina, USA