Re: Seeds & Seedlings

> Jefrie Jenkins wrote:
>
> I'd also like some input from people about when is the best time to plant the
> seeds. I've heard of both planting in the early winter and in the following
> spring.
> I have planted both times and don't seem to see a lot of difference in
> germination rate, although the spring planted seeds I put in the freezer for
> about a week first.
>
> One last question. I have read that the seeds should be planted in 4" pots.
> What would be the reason for this rather than straight in the ground.

Jefrie,

Most people that I know including myself plant seeds in the fall.  I
usually have mine planted now and try to do so by today (Thanksgiving).
I plant my seeds in 1 gallon pots.  And I try not to plant more than 30
or so in one pot.  This gives the seedlings plenty of room to grow nice
long roots and if you can't get around to planting in the spring they
still won't be too crowded in the summer.  You can plant directly into
the ground but there is one problem with this.  Iris seed can germinate
for up to 18 years.  Therefore if you plant seeds in the same place,
seeds from prior years may germinate and your crosses can be
compromised.

Rick Tasco
Central California -- Keeping the fingers crossed we won't get a frost
tonight.
Zone 8.5