Re: Maytag Red (Iris Humor?)

>> What! This iris is selling for ONLY $55.00! When Lloyd Zurbrigg introduced
>> IMMORTALITY he charged $100.00.  And I bought it for that price and have
>> never regretted it.  I would buy MAYTAG RED if the price were higher, but I
>> don't have space to be planting a lot of cheap irises.  After all, you might
>> be a redneck irisarian if you plant cheap irises along the path to your
>> still.  Clarence Mahan in northern Virginia
>I can't believe there is an iris with that name. Who's selling it?
>Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
>Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada

I apologize for misleading anyone on the list, but I made up the name of
MAYTAG RED as a spoof (joke) a couple of messages back.  I thought everyone
would realize from my original description that a geranium red,
self-cleaning iris such as MAYTAG RED doesn't really exist.  I was making
light of some of the talk lately on the IRIS-L concerning the plethora of
new introductions, their alleged spiral downward in quality, and the lack of
homogeneous cultural requirements for all new introductions.  I fear that if
I don't put a stop to the inquiries about this "introduction" I may have
people writing it up in their local bulletins and newsletters as the latest
and greatest thing. :)

-Donald Mosser

Donald Mosser
North Augusta, South Carolina, USA