Re: Maytag Red (Iris Humor?)

<< Seriously, I recognize that the majority of hybridizers don't make a
 from new introductions and I appreciate the work that they do to bring us
 new and beautiful creations. I could see how increasing the requirements for
 introduction of new irises could increase the associated development costs
 for a new introduction, as well as, possibly improve the quality and
 uniqueness of irises introduced. IMHO, it would be a shame to make
 registration and introduction of new varieties of irises a more cost
 prohibitive venture for the amateur hybridizer. >>

Donald, worry not.  The policy of AIS re the requirements for registration
and introduction have been the same since the inception of AIS, and they are
not going to be changed.  I believe some plant societies set rigorous testing
requirements or approval by a registration body based on characteristics, but
this has no support in AIS, whose policy is sort of been "let a hundred
flowers bloom."  The free market will determine which cultivars survive and
which do not....sort of the capitalist way.  Clarence Mahan