Re: Seeds & Seedlings

Barb Rigby wrote:

> Rick or anyone else out there,
>
> Do any of you soak your seeds in water before you plant them?

Barb, I've been following the procedure for planting iris seeds as
outlined in the *World of Iris*.  This basicicly is called seed
straitification.  After harvesting the seeds and letting them dry for a
couple of weeks I soak them in water for 3 days changing the water each
day.  (Drudgery, but has to be done).  Then I place each cross in
plastic bags with wet (not soggy) vermiculite.  These bags get placed in
the refrigerator (not the freezer) where they stay until now.  Then I
plant in the 1 gallon pots and put them on the carport for the rest of
the winter.  I try--really try--to plant them soon after the last frost,
which usually is April 15 here.

Rick Tasco
Central California -- At the Gateway to Yosemite National Park.
Zone 8.5