Re: Hardiness Testing

Dennis said:

 But,
since time is important to the hybridizers, and time doesn't put food on
the table, don't expect many of them to offer.  There seems to be more
"TEST" gardens in the Median and Beardless areas.....interesting.

***

I wonder just who "the hybridizers" are?? I mean, the intros from Hal Stahley
and Bill Maryott, and Eleanor Kegerise (spell that??) are not going to support
the mortgage, I'll wager.   The likes of Clarence Mahan and Lloyd Zurbrigg and  a host of others no doubt DO send their potential intros out to
friends and fellow hybridizers to test and simply do not compete at the same
commercial level as Roris, Cooley, Schreiners.

What is being called for, it seems to me, is a  systematic program to test iris cultivars around the country.  Would we want this as a
REQUIREMENT of introduction, rather than as a choice the hybridizer
makes??  Then we should change the AIS rules for evaluating seedlings
and make RcultureabilityS (??) a criteria rather than distinction.

When the market forces demand new new glitz and glamour, big and bulky and
photographable stuff, the big commercial guys are not going to send their
cv's out to test gardens!!   And since the big guys donUt mention Rability to grow in Tennessee gardensS, no one else is going to do that
either.  Let the buyer beware!!

	We need to get the backyard hybridizers on Martha Stewart and create a demand for their
things  so that their sales will soar.  Buying and growing their iris around the country will allow the market (thatUs US!) to test the
cultivars and help these folks to buy Thanksgiving Turkey also!!
I mean, there just canUt be much money in small hybridizersU sales!!

	We are testing hybridizersU stock and growth when we buy their intros, even their
older stock, and grow it in our gardens. Take notes as suggested by another posting, and then you can write about
the growth patterns on the Iris-LIST, and in local newsletters,
and in an article for the Journal.

Wallah!! test gardens for introductions!!

Or are we after some free iris??

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY