Re: species irises

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Avocet International wrote:

> I.graminea also grows well in Ottawa and flowered for me soon after I
> transplanted it from Trevor Coles' garden.  I have it in shade, partial
> shade and sun and it flowered in all three locations although the plant
> height is far less in the sun.

	You mentioned height being affected by sun but what the flowering?
	I intend to plant I. graminea here and was going to be it in
	partial sun/shade but I am interested in the flower output in the
	garden altho' the foliage is lovely in pix.

	In `The Iris' by Brian Mathew, he talks of three varieties, one
	is I. graminea var. pseudocyperus which is a "larger and more
	robust plant than var. graminea, and the flowers are unscented."
	p. 112.

	Is this the var. that Jim W. and Ian E. are speaking about?

	Also, a variant in which the flowers are said to be yellowish-
	white (achtaroffi) sounds interesting.

	Happy T-Day everyone in US,

	Ellen Gallagher
	e_galla@moose.ncia.net
	Zone 3a - another foot of snow last night!
	Lancaster, New Hampshire, USA
	AIS, CIS, SSI, SJI, MIS, DIS, SIGNA