Re: Evaluation Criteria

> If the rhizomes do not clump up fast, maybe a grower can separate the clump
> less often than three years  -- an individual choice based on what's good
> for the rhizomes.  Crowded clumps don't bloom as readily as well spaced
> rhizomes do.

One question.  It would seem to me that some cultivars would extend new
rhizomes further out than others, so that if you were growing one mother
rhizome in an unlimited (by other plants) area, the cultivar would still
either have a propensity to have compact increases vs. sprawling
increases.  In this instance, is it still necessary to divide?  Is it
truly spacing, or if you had a rhizome in a straight line :-) to
infinity, is it that connecting too many rhizomes together somehow
decreases vigour?
Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@austx.tandem.com, Austin, TX, zone 8b
*or* amyr@mpd.tandem.com