Re: Evaluation Criteria

>                 A general percentage of increases that bloom would be a wonderful selling
> point, don't you think?  If this percentage could be predicted, we'd be
> far advanced and hybridizers would have more money in their pockets, and
> all that.

It has been my experience that some varieties can be predicted to bloom
on increases.  Usually the one or two that are closest to the mother
rhizome. As for percentages I wouldn't know, but I do know of certain
ones that will percentages aside.  Hybridizers must be careful of this
trait because too much bloom will cause bloomout.  One I can think of
off the top, is my current introduction MARIPOSA SKIES.  If the plant is
grown well and the increases are sufficently large enough they will
bloom.  I tested this seedling for years before I was sure it would not
bloomout. MARIPOSA SKIES is a tall bearded.  Parentage is (Wedding Vow x
Violet Miracle) X Glistening Icicle).

As for Test Gardens, this was tried in the past by AIS and eventually
abandoned.  Who will finance this?  What individuals will take the time
and effort to do the evaluations.  I used to send my seedlings out for
evaluation around the county.  I stopped.  I hardly recieved any
feedback.  One prominent grower one year told me he was so busy to even
see it.  Now, growing iris for over 15 years, being an active AIS judge
I have a fairly good idea what makes a good iris.  If the iris performs
well for me, its distinctive and it sells, I will introduce it.

Rick Tasco
Central California, down a winding country lane amid the wildflowers,
hawks, and butterfiles.
Zone 8.5