AIS Judging (Was Hybridizers Seedllings)

<< From what I have garnered on this list, it doesn't work this way
 	in AIS. It is all types or nothing...am I wrong? I was dismayed
 	when I read posts on this list saying that AIS judges have voted
 	for irises based on catalog photos without seeing the iris
 	 growing in gardens. This practice would leads to a photo-
 	graphic beauty contest....no wonder folks complain of poor garden
 	specimens in their own gardens.  >>

An AIS judge must be trained and qualified to judge as many types of irises
as feasible, and to refrain from garden judging those types of irises for
which he is not qualified.  (Very few judges in the East and Midwest are
knowledgeable on Pacific Coast Natives, for example, and therefor as a matter
of ethics do not vote the official ballot for these types of
irises....likewise, very few judges in the Southwest are knowledgeable on
Japanese irises, and do not vote on the ballot for these!! Etc, etc.)

AIS used to have garden judges and show judges, but combined the two many
years ago.  It is garden judging that is important and all AIS Awards are
garden awards not show awards.  These are the awards that are voted by ballot
that only goes to judges. When one judges a show one does not judge whether
the iris is a good cultivar...only if the entry is a good representation of
the cultivar.

For example, if someone enters a stalk of the iris TOBACCO ROAD in a show,
the judges might give the stalk a blue ribbon because it is an excellently
grown stalk of that iris and has been groomed (cleaned up) well....but no one
I know these days would consider TOBACCO ROAD to be a good iris these days
(Wasn't too good an iris in its own day...just used a lot for breeding brown
irises that rot in the East!).

I know of no REPEAT no AIS judge who votes for an iris based on seeing a
picture...this is absolutely wrong and I don't believe it is done.  On the
other hand any AIS member (judge or not judge) can vote in the Symposium for
the most popular TB irises....and I fear some people (NOT judges) do vote for
irises they have only seen pictures of... there are not really any rules
about Symposium voting other than "do you like the iris."  Hope this
clarifies.  Clarence Mahan