Re: Iris mulching

<< Are you suppose to mulch irises?  I did use my leaves on my beardless
irise=
 s but
 I didn't use them on my bearded irises.  Should I have done this?

I recommend mulching newly planted Japanese, Siberian and beardless species
irises with shreded hardwood mulch.  I have never mulched bearded irises
because of fear of rot, but have been told by a very knowledgeable iris
grower in Maine that it is safe to use buckwheat hulls to mulch bearded
irises...she does it with no bad effect. She told me that buckwheat hulls are
not cheap, but worth the price.  I am going to try it because I'm tired of
weeding bearded irises...but I'm not going to try it until next spring
because they don't need the mulch in the winter here in Virginia.  Clarence
Mahan