re: my hybridizing question

 >       This is a repost - my initial posting did not appear for me, soory if
 > anyone has gotten this twice.

Thanks to those who responded, but the intent of my question was
different, so I will try again.

In asking about how to go about getting a Black rebloomer, I was
assuming for the sake of discussion that none existed. My general question is
that in order to combine two traits should one cross two iris which each exhibit
one of those traits ? Lets assume that both traits are recessive in nature and
may need some coaxing to express themselves. Is there any general method for
accomplishing this. Specifically, Is there anyway to predict which seedlings
will carry the desired genes, and should be retained for further cross's, and
which can be safely discarded ?

Perhaps a better specific question would be how to add horns to a black
rebloomer. I dont believe there are any black horned iris (Stingray is dark
blue) as such, so my first take would be to cross Stingray with Rosalie Figge or
Midnite Caller.  What would be the merits of such a cross versus using Sky Hooks
or some other carotenoid expressed color. (I'm not sure of the color gene names
but I think carotenoid means red/orange/yellow/pink, and anthocyanin refers to
blue/violet ?)

TIA     Chad Schroter