Re: I. Pumila

I tried a couple of pumilas from Ben  Hager , and they did not  succeed here.
 It is the night temperature that probably makes the difference.  My only
visit to California was in the fall. I was amazed that the night temperature
would  sink into the 30's, and the daytime get into the high 60's or the
seventies. Our summer heat in North Carolina is both day and night, and the
pumilas seem unable to cope with it.  Some kind of cloth as a partial shield
might work, such as I saw this year in the N>C>Arboretum gardens on impatiens
plants. Lloyd Zurbrigg Durham NC  Zone 7.5