Re: Hardiness Testing

John Jones said
>While we are here, next year will be the first year that I will be
>making notes on what goes on in my iris garden. So what are the
>important things to note? My first cut.
>
>When it blooms
[etc]

I will be trying to keep track of

Timing of growth initiation - or maybe foliage damaged the most by late
freezes
Cold tolerance of terminal fan - not sure exactly how to do this, other than
to notice if it aborts
Whether or not having dirt piled on top of the rhizome over winter helped
keep terminal alive
Stunting of flower stalks (relationship to cold and lack of rain)
Sensitivity to drought and heat - ?dead foliage?
Sensitivity to rain and heat - rot and foliage disease?

This is Eyore's list - I need to do a Pollyanna list too -

Fragrance
Number of blooms, duration of bloom on one stalk and one clump
Color impact from a distance
Complexity of color up close
'Happy sigh' effect on the grower

Hmm - Eyore's list seems to have more to do with hardiness than Pollyanna's
list.

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN USA