Re: I. Japonica

<<  I
 have tried for a number of years to transplant into pots with no luck. >>
I have grown I. japonica outside for a number of years...it usually survives
the northern Virginia winter, but it never blooms because stalks are formed
too early and are killed.  If it is a exceptionally cold winter without snow
cover the plants will be killed.  Three years ago I lost all of my plants (it
increases like a weed!)

This past summer Bill Smoot gave me several plants.  One I potted up a month
ago and brought into the house, where it has set under Gro-Lux lights with my
wife's orchids and tender plants.  When we came back from a trip to Orlando
(to see our son and grandsons)  yesterday, Iris japonica under the lights had
a lovely bloom stalk with open flowers.  Delicate and lovely!  What a nice
Thanksgiving gift.  It increases by runners, and you should plant it outside
in the spring (in the ground) and then repot in the fall before first hard
freeze.  In a sheltered spot, Bill Smoot can get this lovely iris to bloom
outside in southern Tidewater VA (Portsmouth, VA).  Clarence Mahan in