Re: Species for Beginners

<< I. pumila--tiny dwarf that keeps on giving.  Seems to like heavy soil and
 good drainage, very nice between rocks.  Short bloom season can sometimes
 be spoiled by a few rainy days.  Easily grown from seed, highly variable.
 Probably Z3-4? >>

Are you growing this iris successfully  in your area Bill?  If so, please
write more about your experiences, where you got the plants or seeds, how you
care for it, etc, etc.  I. pumila has a reputation, so far reinforced by my
own repeated experience and of experts in dwarf irises like Dick Sparling,
 of demanding cold winters.  I don't know anyone else who is growing this
iris successfully as far south as Maryland and Virginia, and am fascinated.
 Would really like to be able to succeed with it, especially for breeding
purposes....(I have always had to have people in the North send me pollen!
And the potential use of this iris to create rebloomers when out crossed is
great!)  Clarence Mahan in Northern VA  (P.S. If you are succeeding with it,
are you sure it is I. pumila? My fingers are crossed for a "yes" answer.)